The Current Issue …
Members may open digital issue by signing in
African Violet Magazine
Published six times a year – in both print and digital editions – for members
ON THIS COVER:
Optimara Little Pearl
Hybridized by: Holtkamp
Grown by: Kathy Lahti
Photo credit: Winston J. Goretsky
ARTICLE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Article Submission Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in writing for African Violet Magazine (AVM), the official member publication of the African Violet Society of America written by members and volunteers. The following information is to aid you in preparing and submitting your article for consideration. Please contact editor Sophia Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or submissions.
Types of Articles
Features: We welcome all articles that help African violet enthusiasts succeed in growing and showing African violets (and other gesneriads). The best articles offer advice and tips or twists on culture and grooming of African violets. We welcome articles about topics for beginning growers, expert growers, those who show their plants for awards, and hybridizers. Although articles can represent personal experience, we also encourage research-based articles. If unfamiliar with AVM, you may join AVSA or buy the current issue.
All articles should contain at least one “takeaway” for readers, such as concrete tips or ideas on how to keep plants healthy. The following steps can help you structure an article evaluating a situation or problem:
- Note a situation or problem.
- Define the problem.
- Present the scope of the problem, along with any specifics.
- Provide sound relevant information toward a solution to the situation/problem.
- Explain the steps used (or to use) as a takeaway for readers.
- Implement the solution or use past steps toward a solution as examples.
- Describe and even monitor the results and report on the success or failure of one or more solutions.
- Share the lessons learned and discuss what could have improved the outcome.
- Be objective, but also state this is “my” approach or journey and indicate that other solutions might be more effective or work differently in other situations.
Departments: AVM departments (columns) are written by established members of AVSA.
Coming Events: We welcome affiliate club and member contributions to include Coming Events (web submission by AVM deadline or email to editor) and In Memory.
African Violet Magazine Deadlines
The following deadlines apply to all Columns, Feature Articles, Contest Entries, Coming Events, and Advertisements:
January/February Issue: November 1
March/April Issue: January 1
May/June Issue: March 1
July/August Issue: May 1
September/October Issue: July 1
November/December Issue: September 1
MISSED AN ISSUE?
It is rare for an issue to go missing in the mail, but we would like to let you know the procedure if you do not get your magazines in a timely manner.
The magazine is usually mailed by BULK MAIL by the last week of the month prior to the issue date. Once it leaves our local mailing facility, there are many factors that may affect the arrival of your magazine. These are completely out of our control. If you feel you have missed your magazine, please follow the steps below, and we will send you a replacement copy.
- Make sure your membership expiration date has not expired.
- Make sure your address is correct with our records.
- With so many different factors, please wait until the 20th of the issue date to notify the office for your replacement.
- Once the office is notified, we will mail you a replacement via First Class mail.
- CONTACT AVSA OFFICE
2022 Article Contest
Deadline for submission is December 31, 2022
Contest Entry Requirements
The Article Contest will accept submissions between March 1 and December 31, 2022. Anyone is welcome to send one or more articles relevant to growing, showing, or hybridizing African violets. Entries accepted in two categories:
- Beginner/intermediate: articles designed to offer more basic tips
- Advanced: pieces with a more scientific take on topics.
Articles should be between 500 and 2000 words. Please include pictures or illustrations if possible. Photos and other artwork must be high resolution (at least 300 dpi).
All submissions will be edited as needed. Edits will be discussed with the writer, and authors will have a chance to review articles before they are published.
We strongly encourage even beginning writers to submit articles. If you have good information to share, we are happy to help you craft a piece that you are proud of. Articles will be judged on the quality of the final piece, not the initial submission.
Keep in mind that AVM strives to provide African violet enthusiasts with information-rich stories they can use as they are growing and showing plants and designs. Articles filled with practical advice and tips will fare better in the contest than personal stories about one person’s passion or connection to African violets.
Judging of Articles
A panel of five judges will review the articles and pick a first-, second- and third-place winner in each category.
Pieces will be judged on considerations such as:
- the quality of the information shared
- enjoyable and relatable storytelling
- suitability of the story for publication.
Contest winners will be announced at the 2023 AVSA Convention and in the July/August 2023 issue of the AVM.
- Early/first entry into the AVSA Convention Salesroom OR
- a one-year AVSA Membership for you to gift to a non-member
Second Place: A gift certificate to Black Oak Violets
Third Place: Donated African violet memorabilia
Articles will run in the AVM beginning with the May/June 2022 issue. While we will endeavor to run all articles in 2022, some may be pushed into early 2023, if there are enough submissions.
AVSA reserves the right not to publish any articles it deems unfit for the magazine.
Writers must sign a waiver declaring that their work is original. Please cite sources when appropriate.
Submissions and questions about the 2022 Article Contest should be emailed to AVM Editor Sophia Bennett at email@example.com or mailed to the AVSA Office, P.O. Box 22417, Beaumont TX 77720.
ADVERTISERS! See details in the AVM Media Kit.